The testing scenarios have been well laid out with instructions, activities, assessments and signposts at every step to help guide you through the testing.
We now expect you to be competent in carrying out testing at SimuLab without any guidance - just as you would after an induction program at a real laboratory.
Today is your first day on the job going solo - good luck.
Your Customer/Your Task
Salmon Ella Takeaway Supplies produce a range of pre-packaged food items that are used in the fast food industry such as fish & chip shops, pizza shops, kiosks and hot food caravans.
They have been alerted by the Senior Health Officer of the SimuTown Council that there has been an outbreak of food poisoning connected with a number of fast food establishments in the SimuTown area and that the common factor might be the Salmon Ella products that each of these shops uses.
Mr B. Cereus from Salmon Ella is bringing in the following samples for you this morning for testing:
Ready-to-Heat Chips - 2 X 100 g samples (potato only)
Pizza Topping #3 - 2 X 100 g samples (contains meat, vegetables & sauces)
Chicken Nuggets - 2 X 100 g samples (chicken coated in breadcrumbs).
Test each sample for the following:
- Total Viable Count (TVC)
- Total Coliform Count (TCC)
Send to your Tutor
Work your way through this testing scenario and submit the completed Laboratory Test Sheets to your Tutor on completion.
- The samples have been received in specimen reception in an esky packed in ice. It is your task to perform all of the following tasks and to comment on any possible discrepancies/problems.
- Check the samples for Integrity.
- Check the samples are correct for the testing requested (SOP).
- Check the Request for Testing sheet accompanying the samples for consistency of details.
- Generate the Laboratory Test Result document from the data in the Request for Testing document.
- Store samples according to SOP.
- Two of the samples have obviously leaked. What do you do and what paperwork do you fill out? Send a copy of the paperwork to your tutor.
- In general, how should these samples be stored and when should testing be done?
- If the samples arrived in an esky without any ice and the sample containers were warm what would you do?
- Bac Cereus calls you on the phone and says that he left one sample out and that he is sending it by courier and that it will arrive within one hour. Can he send it to you for testing? Can you add it to the six samples for testing?
- Sue from the SimuLab Biology Laboratory says that the next batch of food microbiology testing will be sent in four days. Based on this information how would you store the food samples and why?
What about if she was doing the testing tomorrow?
- The testing indicates that the pizza topping and chicken nuggets contain a particularly virulent and potentially fatal bacterium - Salmonella mafia. What would you do?
Part 2. Practical Assessment
Practical assessment requires you to demonstrate the competency on-the-job (or in a simulated laboratory).
The assessment will consist of:
- a demonstration of the competency in an on-the-job situation or a simulation
- oral questioning about such things as laboratory specific knowledge of processes, troubleshooting and specific safety or other factors that may be peculiar to the learner's work environment
- Any relevant workplace documents that support the assessment.
If you are ready to undertake the practical assessment send a message to your tutor using the mail facility.
Use the following link to obtain a checklist to be used by your assessor.